Despite the fact that Apple Maps has been around for a long time, it took some time to get to the point of offering a comprehensive set of highly advanced features. Still, going back to basics is never a bad idea, especially if you’re just getting started with this mapping solution. With that out of the way, let’s talk about how to add a pin to Apple Maps on iPhone.
Keep in mind that dropping a pin in Apple Maps allows you to do a variety of things. You can use that functionality to share a location with someone, save your favourite locations, and more, in addition to providing more precise directions. So, there you have it: everything you need to know.
The Easiest Way to Add a Pin to Apple Maps on iPhone
1. Open your iPhone’s Maps app. Your current location should be highlighted with a blue pin. However, even if you don’t see it, there’s nothing to worry about because dropping a pin can be done at any time and from any location.
2. Now, in Apple Maps, navigate to the approximate location where you want to drop a pin. Swiping a single finger across the screen allows you to move around freely. You can also zoom in and out by pinching the screen of your device. Then, tap and hold anywhere on the screen.
3. A red-colored pin will appear after a few moments. At the same time, a new set of options will appear at the bottom of your screen. You must select “Edit Location.”
4. A satellite image of the chosen location will now be displayed. You are free to move and reposition your pin. (When dropping a pin in Apple Maps, you can be quite precise.)
5. Finally, once you’re satisfied with the location, press the “Done” button. You will now be returned to the Apple Maps main screen.
That’s all! You’ve just learned how to use Apple Maps on your iPhone to place a pin. Continue reading, however, to learn a few more actions related to dropping a pin, all of which will come in handy at some point.
What to Do When You Drop a Pin in Apple Maps
Following that, we’ll show you how to get directions based on the dropped pin location, as well as how to share your location and do other things.
1. Once you’ve placed a pin in Apple Maps, look at the bottom of the screen. Tap “Directions” to get directions to the desired location. The app will calculate all possible routes, so swipe up to see them all. Once you’ve decided, tap the green “Go” icon.
2. Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to add a dropped pin to a contact (new or existing). Then, choose “Add to Existing Contact” or “Create New Contact.” Choose or create a contact, and Apple Maps will associate the selected location with the selected contact. Siri can now provide you with quick directions to your friends.
3. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to add the selected location to your list of favourites. Then select “Add to Favorites.” Remember that your favourites can always be accessed from the Maps home screen.Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to see a list of your favourite places. When you tap on one, you’ll get more information as well as possible driving, biking, or walking routes.
If you’d like to learn more about Apple Maps on iPhone now that you’ve learned how to drop a pin, we have some resources for you. First, learn how to use Apple Maps to locate locations that accept Apple Pay. Also, check out our list of the most useful Apple Maps tips you may not be aware of.